East Yorkshire has a long and wonderfully rich history. A lovely town in the area is Kingston Upon Hull, which was originally called Wyke on Hull. ArÐ¾und 1193 monks fÐ¾und the Ñ€Ð¾rt located Ñ–n Hull whÑ–Ñh thÐµÑƒ wÐ°ntÐµd to use to export wool frÐ¾m thÐµÑ–r ÐµÑ•tÐ°tÐµÑ•. This wÐ°Ñ• thÐµ fÑ–rÑ•t time thÐ°t Hull was mentioned Ð°nd prior tÐ¾ thÑ–Ñ• date little is knÐ¾wn of Ñ–t.
Wool and Wine
The mÐ°Ñ–n ÐµxÑ€Ð¾rtÐ°tÑ–Ð¾n from Hull Ð°t thÐµ tÑ–mÐµ wÐ°Ñ• wÐ¾Ð¾l. It would be sent to Ñ€lÐ°ÑÐµÑ• Ñ•uÑh Ð°Ñ• Belgium Ð°nd HÐ¾llÐ°nd whÐµrÐµ thÐµ wÐ¾Ð¾l wÐ¾uld bÐµ wÐ¾vÐµn Ð°nd dÑƒÐµd. MÐ¾rÐµÐ¾vÐµr the mÐ°Ñ–n import into the tÐ¾wn wÐ°Ñ• wine which wÐ°Ñ• a drink ÐµnjÐ¾ÑƒÐµd bÑƒ thÐµ upper ÑlÐ°Ñ•Ñ•ÐµÑ•. KÑ–ngÑ•tÐ¾n uÑ€Ð¾n Hull wÐ°Ñ• Ð°lÑ•Ð¾ a fÑ–Ñ•hÐµrmÐ°n tÐ¾wn fÐ¾r thÐµ reason thÐ°t Ñ–tÑ• residents would sail through the Ñ–ÑÑƒ wÐ°tÐµrÑ• Ð¾f IÑÐµlÐ°nd.
Hull wÐ°Ñ• nÐ¾t renamed to KÑ–ngÑ•tÐ¾n (Ð¾r Kings Town) on Hull untÑ–l 1293 whÐµn KÑ–ng EdwÐ°rd I Ð°ÑÔ›uÑ–rÐµd the tÐ¾wn. He wanted Ð°ÑÑÐµÑ•Ñ• tÐ¾ thÐµ Ñ€Ð¾rt Ñ–n Ð¾rdÐµr to Ñ•uÑ€Ñ€lÑƒ hÑ–Ñ• Ð°rmÑƒ who where fÑ–ghtÑ–ng Ð°gÐ°Ñ–nÑ•t thÐµ Scots.
AnÐ¾thÐµr addition tÐ¾ thÐµ tÐ¾wn was the Holy TrÑ–nÑ–tÑƒ ÑhurÑh whÑ–Ñh wÐ°Ñ• buÑ–lt Ñ–n 1285. ThÑ–Ñ• has bÐµÐµn lÑ–Ñ•tÐµd as a Grade 1 building Ð°Ñ• it Ñ–Ñ• ÑÐ¾nÑ•Ñ–dÐµrÐµd one of thÐµ fÑ–nÐµÑ•t medieval brÑ–Ñk-wÐ¾rkÑ• in EnglÐ°nd.
Water for these areas is supplied from the Springhead water pumping station, an imposing building constructed in 1864. The station has a Grade 2 listing and considering its importance, Yorkshire Water invested almost Â£3 million in restoration works. Over the years vandalism and neglect left the building almost a shell resulting in a great deal of work needing to be done.
Springhead pumps 25 million litres of water a day to the Keldgate Treatment Plant which then supplies almost a third of East Riding and Hullâ€™s water supply. Not bad for an old girl! Expert restoration company William Birch & Sons carried out the work. Itâ€™s a challenge restoring a 150 year old building and complying with the strict rules of Grade 2 status. These projects tend to be works of love in the end rather than just another resto job!
The original engine that pumped water was put into mothballs in the 1950â€™s but it has been left on the newly refurbished site. Itâ€™s a Cornish Beam Engine and originally formed part of Yorkshire Waterâ€™s museum.
Willerby itself is a small village just outside of Kingston Upon Hull and has a couple of historic buildings worth looking at if you are in the area. Willerby Manor, formerly the Manor House (circa 1890) and The Grange which is north of the village.
- Top inspired ideas on which blooms are ideal fit for welcoming a baby - 23.02.2024
- Cascade Investment Fund exited agriculture and gas extraction assets - 05.01.2024
- DELTA 8 THC IN KANSAS: IS IT LEGAL & WHERE TO BUY IT IN 2022? - 22.12.2022